Soul (Soul Eater Evans) Cosplay Write-Up


Couple of things before I get into the nitty-gritty of this costume... First, Soul has been on my dream-cosplay list since I first saw the anime (2011?), but I really wanted to do it justice. This costume caused me an unreasonable amount of stress and I actually kind of hate how the craftsmanship came out. I really wanted to make this like, a leather moto jacket, but my sewing machine could not deal with it. I was having sewing machines problems before Katsu as well (the blog never got published cause the costume is still unfinished...) but this jacket really drove me to buy a new, commercial grade, sewing machine.

Part 1 - The Jacket


Let's start with the design. I was going to add piping on all the seams, and make the collar standing with buckles on it. I also intended to add the buttons on the front but completely ran out of time (and later realized it would look kind of stupid).

For the pattern I found a Lekala pattern and printed it out, you can read about my experience with them here. I ended up with 3 mock-ups before I was happy with the fit, then started working with the leather. I ended up using 2 yellow sheep skin hides, and 2.5 black. The lining was cotton sateen. 
Final mock up

Testing pattern layout

Lining :D

Yellow hide 1 of 2

Now step 5- infinity is to cry. I really don't know what to say about this. I'm not a professional and I had a really tough time making this coat. Leather is tough, you can't pin it and even with a good roller foot it tends to move around. I actually really f-ed up a few seams which made me sad, but I also did a lot of good seams! You win some and lose some...
Sewed all the pieces together, after I did this I double top-stitched most of the seams.
(look at that sexy seam :D )

Make leather jacket, cut holes in leather jacket.

This is the one I really fucked up, don't make me look at it anymore :(

Aaaand that's how you make a leather jacket (don't judge me)

Part 2- Wig, Teeth & Sun

The wig started as an Indigo in Silver from Arda. I had a whole pack of wefts as well, but I ended up having to give most to a friend, so there is only a little bit of extra volume added to the wig.

I used a combination of 2 tutorials to do the spiking, How to Get Volume by Hee-Hee and the Making-Of Cloud Strife by Malinda-Chan.

The first thing I did was section the hair with clips and then put it into ponytails. I worked section by section, teasing and spraying, then holding them till they dried. It was a long, sticky process with no photos. At the end I cut the spikes to be the right shape and glued them with fabric glue.



The teeth were made out of white false nails. I made a retainer out of friendly plastic (this took a lot of tries to get it to fit really well) then shaped the nails and glued them on. I let it dry for 24 hours before I put it on my mouth (superglue and mouth, not good)


The sun was really interesting, we started him on Tuesday before the con (and Ejen from Cosplay in America joined us). He started as a large ball from Target, and covered it in paper-mache. The spikes were made out of card-stock and taped on (we should have used white tape, lol). We added hot-glue to stabilize the spikes and give it the evil-sun texture from the show, and coated everything in a few layers of wood glue.

 


0 comments:

Post a Comment